Although Mary loved avocados, Lindy and I could not ever remember being allowed to taste one.
They were only for her special salad dressing which is reprinted below.
Throughout her life, our mother tried a number of different diets; some were fringe fads she had heard about somewhere, others were simply diets that appealed to her (such as “eat all the desserts you want!”), and some were actually founded in good nutritional habits.
As always, Mary’s undoing was a lack of moderation. Whatever she consumed, she consumed in massive amounts. Avocados, nuts, meat, cigarettes, alcohol…the list could go on.
This recipe for avocado salad dressing is actually a fairly healthy one, especially given Mary Jo’s penchant for dangerous cooking.
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup fat-free plain yogurt
- 1 medium ripe avocado, peeled and sliced
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon Spice Islands® Dill Weed
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- Salad greens and vegetables of your choice
- In a food processor, combine the first nine ingredients
- Cover and process until smooth
- Serve over salad
- Store in the refrigerator. Yield: 2 cups.
One serving (2 tablespoons) equals:
- 31 calories
- 2g fat (trace saturated fat)
- 1 mg cholesterol
- 96 mg sodium
- 3 g carbohydrate
- 1 g fiber
- 1 g protein.
- Diabetic Exchanges: 1/2 fat.