Mary made meatloaf about once a week. She didn’t use a recipe but put a little of each of the ingredients listed below in her bowl. Sometimes she added more oatmeal depending on how far she wanted to stretch her meal. Anyway, this is pretty much the recipe she used:
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped bell pepper
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 8 ounces canned diced tomatoes (without
- 1/2 cup quick-cooking oats
- 1/3 cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon prepared mustard
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
Mix all meat loaf ingredients well and place in a baking dish. Shape into a loaf.
Topping: Mix ingredients for topping and spread on loaf. Bake for 1 hour.