I make this recipe for Healthy Cowboy Steaks quite often. John likes the recipe as much as I do (which is to say that we both enjoy it a great deal). Do not be put off by the number of steps in the Instructions below – it is actually a very easy recipe to make.
The flavor is really enhanced with just a small amount of chili seasoning. You can add more chili seasoning if you prefer your steak a bit spicier.
- 1 Tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon reduced-calorie margarine
- 6 Tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon chili seasoning
- 2 Tablespoons skim milk
- 4 (4 oz) lean minute or cube steaks
- 1 (12 ounce) can Evaporated Fat Free Milk
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- In a large skillet sprayed with butter-flavored Pam, melt margarine.
- In a shallow dish, combine 3 Tablespoons of the flour and chili seasoning.
- Pour skim milk into another shallow dish.
- Coat steaks first in skim milk and then in the flour mixture.
- Brown steaks on both sides for three to five minutes on each side.
- Remove steaks and keep them warm.
- In a covered jar, combine evaporated fat-free milk, water and remaining three tablespoons of flour.
- Shake well to blend.
- Pour milk mixture into same skillet steaks were cooked in.
- Stir in parsley and pepper.
- Cook over medium heat until gravy thickens, stirring often.
- For each serving, place one steak on a plate and spoon 1/2 cup of gravy over top.
I like to serve this with baked potatoes.
This meal is 7 points plus three points for the potato.